I started up the PocketPrimer blog more than 10 years ago to write about my experiences using a Pocket PC that ran an early version of the Windows Mobile OS. At first, I only wanted to create a place where I could organize and document for myself the information I gleaned from the forums, blogs, and websites that I’d visited, so I bought a domain name and started writing blog articles. Later on I started sharing links to my articles in the forums that I frequented. Over time the collection of articles that I published on the blog expanded into other areas and the reader base for my articles grew.
Since then I’ve used many different makes and models of mobile devices. The mobile operating system changed from Windows Mobile 2003 to Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.1, 6.5, Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.1 and finally Windows 10 Mobile. When the Windows Phone operating system started stalling out a few years ago I switched to a phone that runs the Android OS.
When I started the blog I was teaching business classes at a large urban university. I’m trained as a data scientist and about four years ago I left teaching to resume my professional career. Now I work in informatics where I get to spend my time mining large databases for nuggets of information.
My passion for mobile devices has faltered and waned – I still use mobile devices, I’m just not so captivated by them. And as my working life has changed, so have my technical and professional interests. My focus and attention has turned towards learning about and pursuing these new interests and I haven’t devoted any time to writing articles for the blog.
Lately, I’ve thought a lot about what I want from a mobile device, how I want to use cloud services, how much time I want to spend on social media. I’ve taken some action to move my use of these technologies to align better with my technical and professional goals as well as my core values.
I’ve straightened up and reorganized the blog, and I’m ready to write some articles for the blog again. The articles I plan to write will be focused in 4 areas:
- Mobility: My current phone runs the Android operating system so I’ll be writing about the Android OS and the apps I use on my phone.
- Cloud Services: I love how the cloud is device neutral and facilitates device independence by allowing easy access to our data as we move from device to device to device. Not all cloud services are the same, and I’ll write about and critique the several different cloud based services that I use.
- Microsoft Products: I use Microsoft’s mobile and desktop apps every day in both my personal and professional life.
- Analytical Tools: As an data scientist, I use SQL as well as other analytical tools every day. I’m still learning how to use these tools and I’ll use the blog to help me organize and document some of the techniques I learn when using these tools.
Like me, I imagine many of your lives and interests have also changed over the years. What devices and technologies are you using today? How are you using these tools to help you achieve and further your technical, professional, and personal goals? I hope you’ll continue to find useful and relevant information here and that you’ll want to stick around as I take the blog in a new direction.
You can connect with me in different ways:
- follow me on twitter (@juliesbits)
- follow PocketPrimer’s twitter stream (@pocketprimer)
- connect with me on linkedin (@iamjulie)
- subscribe to the PocketPrimer RSS feed