The default Yahoo account settings under settings > email+accounts on Windows Phone does not support Contacts or Calendar syncing, so those items are not synced to a phone when the account is created… the only thing that syncs is email.
But if you also use Yahoo Contacts and Calendar, there is a workaround….which I have tested on my own (hardly ever used) yahoo account.
Syncing Yahoo Email to the Phone
To sync your Yahoo email, you’ll set up an “email only” account.
- On the phone select Settings > email+accounts.
- Tap “add an account” > select the “Yahoo! Mail” option.
- Input your Yahoo email address and password in the spaces provided. This account will sync your email to the phone.
Syncing Yahoo Contacts & Calendar to the Phone
The yahoo mail only account you created above will NOT sync any contacts or appointments that are stored in your Yahoo account to the phone. You’ll need to create another account the sync this data.
- On your phone select Settings > email+accounts
- Tap “add an account” > select the “iCloud” option
- Input your Yahoo email address & password in the spaces provided. The attempt to sync will fail, but a new account will be created.
- Return to the the email+account screen and tap the newly created “iCloud” account you just created to edit the settings to the correct Yahoo settings
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap the “advanced settings” button
- Change the “Contacts server (CardDAV)” and “Calendar server (CalDAV)” settings as follows:
CardDAV server: carddav.address.yahoo.com
CalDAV server: caldav.calendar.yahoo.com
- While you’re editing the account, change its default “Account name” from iCloud to a label that makes sense to you – something like Yahoo2 or Yahoo Contacts & Calendar
After this new account syncs, go review the People Hub and Calendar settings to ensure that the Yahoo contacts appear in the phone’s contact listing and the Yahoo appointments appear in the phone’s calendar.
Check Yahoo synced Contacts
Open up the People Hub on the phone, tap the three dots in the lower right hand corner of the screen and tap “settings.”
On the FILTER CONTACTS screen, review the list of contacts that are synced to the phone from its various accounts to make sure there’s a checkmark in the box next to your new Yahoo2 account (that’s what I labeled the account on my phone in the screenshot above, but your label may be different).
Check Yahoo synced Appointments
Open up the Calendar app on the phone, tap the three dots in the lower right hand corner of the screen, and tap “settings.”
On the Calendar’s SETTINGS screen, review the list of calendars that are synced to the phone from its various accounts to make sure there’s a checkmark in the box next to your Yahoo2 account.